Monday, September 04, 2006

death of a doctor

I didnt even know him, but I'd heard quite a bit about this GP who was helping keep my friend's depressed sister alive and out of harm's way. Many GPs had tried but failed to make a difference during her long battle, but this time something had clicked and a trusting therapeutic relationship had ensued.
Things were looking up despite the inevitable ups and downs. She'd moved out of home at aged 50 and even had a 'gentleman friend' as her mother called him.
That was the last thing I'd heard. Until yesterday, that is, when I asked my friend about her sister's progress.
She's still fine, said my friend, but did I tell you about the GP she liked so much?
Obviously she hadn't, and the news stopped me in my tracks - he'd taken his own life just a few months ago.
It's a sad but well-known fact that general practitioners have higher rates of suicide, substance abuse and marital problems than other members of the community.
But the tragic irony of this particular GP's death really brings these figures home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home